Data

NRS-16514 | Visitors' Book [Big Creek Public School]

NSW State Archives Collection
AGY-3618 | Big Creek Provisional School (1940-1946) Big Creek Public School [II] (1946-1961), Hilldale Public School (1961-1968)
Viewed: [[ro.stat.viewed]] Cited: [[ro.stat.cited]] Accessed: [[ro.stat.accessed]]
ctx_ver=Z39.88-2004&rft_val_fmt=info%3Aofi%2Ffmt%3Akev%3Amtx%3Adc&rfr_id=info%3Asid%2FANDS&rft_id=https://search.records.nsw.gov.au/permalink/f/1ednqkf/ADLIB_RNSW110016195&rft.title=NRS-16514 | Visitors' Book [Big Creek Public School]&rft.identifier=https://search.records.nsw.gov.au/permalink/f/1ednqkf/ADLIB_RNSW110016195&rft.publisher=Department of Education and Training (1997-2011) / Department of Education and Communities (2011-2015) / Department of Education (2015- )&rft.description=The Public Instruction Act, 1866 authorised special religious instruction by visiting clergymen and their delegates (Public Schools Act, 1866, s. 19), and regulations under the Act authorised members of the public to visit schools during ‘the hours of secular instruction’ to observe teaching methods, teaching material and equipment (Regulations adopted by the Council of Education on 27 February 1867, s. 84-85). The regulations required every teacher to keep a visitors’ book ‘in which visitors may enter their names and if they think proper any remarks. Such remarks the Teachers are by no means to erase or alter.’ (Regulations … s. 86).The purpose of the visitors’ book was to create a record of the persons other than pupils or teachers who attended the school during business hours. Visitors’ books were divided into three columns – date, name and remarks. The remarks usually recorded the purpose of the visit, which included religious instruction (by far the most usual purpose for visiting a school), school inspection, medical inspection, departmental officers visiting on business e.g. to inspect the buildings or equipment, and guest speakers. Occasionally visitors (particularly Inspectors) remarked briefly on the conduct or the ambience of the school.&rft.creator=AGY-3618 | Big Creek Provisional School (1940-1946) Big Creek Public School [II] (1946-1961), Hilldale Public School (1961-1968) &rft_subject=HISTORICAL STUDIES&rft_subject=HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGY&rft.type=dataset&rft.language=English Access the data

Access:

Other view details

Item lists are available electronically.

Full description

The Public Instruction Act, 1866 authorised special religious instruction by visiting clergymen and their delegates (Public Schools Act, 1866, s. 19), and regulations under the Act authorised members of the public to visit schools during ‘the hours of secular instruction’ to observe teaching methods, teaching material and equipment (Regulations adopted by the Council of Education on 27 February 1867, s. 84-85). The regulations required every teacher to keep a visitors’ book ‘in which visitors may enter their names and if they think proper any remarks. Such remarks the Teachers are by no means to erase or alter.’ (Regulations … s. 86).

The purpose of the visitors’ book was to create a record of the persons other than pupils or teachers who attended the school during business hours. Visitors’ books were divided into three columns – date, name and remarks. The remarks usually recorded the purpose of the visit, which included religious instruction (by far the most usual purpose for visiting a school), school inspection, medical inspection, departmental officers visiting on business e.g. to inspect the buildings or equipment, and guest speakers. Occasionally visitors (particularly Inspectors) remarked briefly on the conduct or the ambience of the school.

Created: 1940-05-01 to 1968-12-12

Data time period: 1940-06-04 to 1968-11-06

This dataset is part of a larger collection

Subjects

User Contributed Tags    

Login to tag this record with meaningful keywords to make it easier to discover