Between the 31st of March 2013 and the 15th of May 2013, Fugro Airborne Surveys Pty. Ltd., (FAS, now known as CGG Aviation (Australia) Pty Ltd) undertook a TEMPESTÂ® airborne electromagnetic and magnetic survey over the South West Coastal Plain and the South Coast areas of Western Australia. There were four separate project areas: (1) Swan Coastal Plain, (2) Scott Coastal Plain, (3) Albany, (4) Esperance.
The survey is designed to map groundwater resources and assess aquifer sustainability in four separate areas of southern WA. The survey areas are located in:
1. Esperance: Traverses spaced 300 & 600 metres apart in a north-south direction at 120 metres above ground level totalling 1,133 line km.
2. Albany: Traverses spaced 300 & 600 metres apart in a north-south direction at 120 metres above ground level totalling 2,163 line km.
3. Scott Coastal Plain: Traverses spaced 600 metres apart in a ne-sw direction at 120 metres above ground level totalling 2,980 line km.
4. Swan Coastal Plain: Traverses spaced 600 metres apart in a nw-se direction at 120 metres above ground level totalling 2,303 line km.
The total coverage of the survey amounted to 8,579 line kilometres. The survey was flown using a Shorts Skyvan (SC3-200) aircraft, registration VH-WGT, owned and operated by FAS.
The survey was commissioned by the Western Australia Department of Water, and was managed by Geoscience Australia. The Survey received funding from the WA Government's Royalties for Regions program to assess, plan and investigate regional water availability in Western Australia.
The data release includes the final contractor supplied datasets. The data are available from Geoscience Australia's web site free of charge.
Each data package includes:
1. Point-located electromagnetic data with associated position, altimeter, orientation, magnetic, and derived ground elevation data. These data are in ASCII column format with associated ASEG-GDF2 header files.
2. Point-located conductivity estimates derived using the EM FlowÂ® conductivity depth imaging (CDI) algorithm with associated position, altimeter, magnetic, and derived ground elevation data. Data include the conductivity estimate for each 5 m interval and selected depth slices. These data are in ASCII column format with associated ASEG-GDF2 header files.
3. Gridded data, at 60 or 120 m cell size, for the conductivity depth slices derived from the EM FlowÂ® CDI data, magnetics and elevation data in ER MapperÂ® binary raster grid format with associated header files.
4. Graphical multiplots, in PDF format, for each flight line showing EM FlowÂ® CDI sections and profiles of electromagnetic data, magnetics, monitors, height and orientation data.
5. Operations Report.
6. Metadata and License files.
Maintenance and Update Frequency: unknown