Organisation

Geelong (Gaol 1853-1942, His Majesty's Gaol 1947-1972, Her Majesty's Training Prison 1972-1981, Her Majesty's Prison 1981-1991)

Public Record Office Victoria
Viewed: [[ro.stat.viewed]]

Full description

Geelong Gaol was proclaimed in April 1853 as 'The New Gaol' in the Town of Geelong. Prior to this date, the Watch-house in South Geelong had known as Geelong Gaol, which had been proclaimed in February 1850. It's first gaoler was appointed on 5 February 1851. The old gaol remained in use until at least 1858, when it was reported to be holding the women prisoners of the region, and was eventually demolished in 1909.

Construction on the new gaol began in 1849. The first prison buildings were designed by Henry Ginn and officially opened in 1854. Like other Victorian prisons of the time, it employed the Pentoville model of prisoner punishment and reform, however the building designed differed somewhat from the gaols built in the 1860s, where cell blocks were arranged in a radial form rather than the cruciform built in Geelong. Construction of the gaol continued in 1856 using labour from both the gaol and the penal hulk 'Sacramento' (VA 3003), which had been in Corio Bay since 1853.

In 1854, an infirmary was constructed at the old gaol, although it is unclear how long it remained in use. Due to the Geelong gaol's proximity to the sea, sick prisoners were regularly transferred to convalesce in the comparatively healthy conditions. By 1873, it had become a common practice to transfer elderly and permanently infirm prisoners to the gaol and by 1880 the gaol was almost completely occupied such prisoners. It was noted in the 1880 annual report that a majority of prisoners held in Geelong were incarcerated for having no means to support themselves and commonly returned to the gaol shortly after release. The burden of care for these prisoners was a significant drain on the Victorian prison system, and by 1883 able-bodied prisoners were being brought from other prisons to care for the most frail prisoners.

In November 1869, the North, South and East Wings of the Gaol were declared an Industrial School for Girls to relieve the overcrowding at Geelong's first Industrial School on Ryrie Street, which was established around 1865 to house and educate children with health issues. Establishing the school withing the gaol was generally considered unfavourable amongst the community and the Government of the day, and the girls were returned to the Ryrie Street site and the wings were re-established as a gaol by 1873.

With the opening of the Female Prison Pentridge (VA 4141) in 1894, elderly women prisoners were transferred to the new prison's "Jika" division, although a small number of women continued to be held in Geelong for several more decades.

Under the provisions of the Indeterminate Sentences Act 1907 (No. 2106), a number of cells were designated a Reformatory Prison in February 1924. Under the Act, the role of reformatory prisons was to train prisoners determined to be 'habitual criminals' in vocations, trades or other employment. Prisoner's were held until the Indeterminate Sentences Board (VA 4161) determined that they were eligible for release on probation. The reformatory prison was expanded in 1928, and 1929.

In 1915 a proportion of the gaol was commandeered by the Commonwealth Government for use as a detention barracks. In 1942 the gaol was transferred to the Commonwealth for use as a Military Gaol, and the Gaol and Reformatory Prison were officially February 1942. The Geelong police station lock-up was designated as a police gaol to receive prisoners with short-term sentences.

From 5 February 1947 the institution was re-proclaimed as His Majesty's Gaol, Geelong for use by the State of Victoria and resumed its role as a hospital gaol for men. Due to the decreased need for imprisoning the elderly and infirm, however, only a small proportion of the gaol was required for this purpose.

After the construction of a purpose-built facility at Castlemaine Gaol (VA 1008) to house elderly and disabled prisoners, Geelong Gaol was converted into a Training Prison in 1956. It was unofficially known as the Geelong Training prison from 1956 until it was officially renamed as 'Her Majesty's Training Prison, Geelong' under provisions within Part IV of the Social Welfare Act 1970 on 26 April 1972. It was registered as Special School No. 4817 (VA 3954) in 1957 until Training Prisons were abolished by 1981.

The prison was renamed 'Her Majesty's Prison, Geelong' in May 1981 and designated a medium security prison for men with a minimum security annex. The facility closed in July 1991 after the opening of the maximum security H.M. Prison, Barwon (VA 5753) in 1990.

Data time period: [1853 TO 1991]

User Contributed Tags    

Login to tag this record with meaningful keywords to make it easier to discover

Identifiers
ACN 633 798 857