Full description
The Female Prison, Pentridge was proclaimed in May 1894 under the Gaols Act 1890 as the first prison constructed solely for women prisoners. It was built between 1887 and 1894 within the walls of the Pentridge Penal Establishment (VA 863). Upon opening of the Female Prison, Pentridge, the matron of Melbourne Gaol was appointed as its first Governor. The prison was also known as the Female Penitentiary, Female Prison Coburg and from 1926, the Female Division.Prior to the opening of the Female Prison, women prisoners were frequently moved between the Melbourne Gaol (VA 4147), Eastern Hill Gaol, Western Gaol, and Penal Hulk "Sacramento" (VA 3008). A women's division was constructed in Pentridge between 1860 and 1865 and women were transferred there in 1868 before being transferred back to Melbourne Gaol the following year. This division later became 'A' Division. Women remained at Melbourne Gaol until the Female Prison opened. The former matron of Melbourne Gaol was appointed as the prison's first Governor.
In 1924, part of the prison was proclaimed as the Metropolitan Gaol (VA 5757). This gaol replaced Melbourne Gaol as the city's reception prison for men. Following the resignation of the Governor of the Female Prison in 1926, the position of Female Governor was abolished and the Female Prison was placed under the control of the Governor of the Metropolitan Gaol. Female prisoners were immediately under the charge of a Matron.
In December 1909 a Reformatory Prison was proclaimed under the Indeterminate Sentences Act 1907, which operated as a division within the prison. Under the Act, the role of reformatory prisons was to train prisoners determined to be 'habitual criminals' in vocations, trades or other employment. Prisoner's were held until the Indeterminate Sentences Board (VA 4161) determined that they were eligible for release on probation.
In 1932, the Female Prison merged with the Metropolitan Gaol and the Penal Establishment Pentridge, into His Majesty's Gaol, Pentridge. The proclamation of HM Gaol Pentridge revoked the proclamation of the Female Prison of 1924.
From 1933, female prisoners were held in the Female Division within HM Gaol Pentridge, under the charge of a Matron, and under the control of the Governor of Pentridge. The Annual Report of the Inspector General for 1933 noted that following the amalgamation, clerical work was mainly carried out in the office at 'D' Division, rather than separate recordkeeping systems being maintained by each prison. The Reformatory Prison for female prisoners continued as a division of Pentridge until reformatory prisons were abolished by the Penal Reform Act 1956 (no 5961).
Following the opening of HM Fairlea Prison (VA 926) in 1956, a majority of women were transferred from Pentridge, however, Pentridge routinely held women in the 'B' division and 'B' division annex until 1987.
Data time period:
[1894 TO 1932]
User Contributed Tags
Login to tag this record with meaningful keywords to make it easier to discover
Identifiers