On 1 January 2015 the Department of State Development, Business and Innovation (DSDBI) (VA 5001) was renamed the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources (DEDJTR) (VA 5034) by Order of the Governor-in-Council under section 10 of the Public Administration Act 2004 (Victorian Government Gazette, S 432, 4 Dec 2014). The name change was part of machinery-of-government changes made by the newly elected Labor Government under the leadership of Premier the Hon Daniel Andrews MP, which reduced the number of existing State departments from nine to seven.
The new department inherited all portfolio responsibilities from the former DSDBI, as listed below:
- Energy and Resources
- Regional Development
- Small Business
- Tourism and Major Events (including major sporting events)
The new department gained the following portfolios from the former Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure (DTPLI) (VA 5003):
- Public Transport
- Roads and Road Safety
The new department also inherited the Agriculture portfolio from the former Department of Environment and Primary Industries (DEPI) (VA 5002)
The Arts portfolio was transferred from the Department of Premier and Cabinet (DPC) (VA 1039) to DEDJTR and renamed Creative Industries. The corresponding portfolio agency Arts Victoria (VA 4416) transitioned into the new department as Creative Victoria with the loss of the Public Record Office Victoria (VA 683) which was retained by DPC in the portfolio of the Special Minister of State.
As of January 2015, DEDJTR was organised into the following administrative groups:
- Agriculture, Energy and Resources
- Creative Victoria
- Economic Development, Employment and Innovation
- Financial Management and Technological Services
- People and Executive Services
- Strategy and Planning
On 1 March 2016, DEDJTR acquired responsibility of the following Acts, as per the Victorian Government Gazette, No. S 44, 8 March 2016:
- Food Act 1984 - Section 63 in so far as it relates to the making of regulations for or with respect to primary production and processing standards (responsibility was partially transferred from and then jointly shared with the Department of Health and Human Services (VA 5037)).
- Surveillance Devices Act 1999 - Section 3(1) and section 25 (responsibility was partially transferred from and then jointly shared with the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (VA 5036)).