The New South Wales Drug and Alcohol Authority was constituted under the provisions of the Drug and Alcohol Authority Act, 1980 which commenced on the 1 May 1980 (1).
The Governor appointed ten members to the Authority as statutory officers who were responsible to the Minister (2).
The New South Wales Drug and Alcohol Authority's functions were to:
(1) formulate programmes for, and promote and facilitate the provision of, comprehensive, balanced and co-ordinated drug and alcohol services throughout New South Wales;
(2) monitor and evaluate drug and alcohol services being provided throughout New South Wales and in such other places and the Authority determines;
(3) undertake, promote and facilitate research into the nature, extent, detection, diagnosis, prevention or alleviation of drug or alcohol related problems and the treatment and rehabilitation of persons suffering from drug and alcohol related problems;
(4) promote and facilitate the development and implementation of educational or training programmes relating to drug and alcohol related problems;
(5) provide grants to public authorities or other organisations or persons, subject to such conditions (if any) as the Authority considers fit, for the purposes of assisting in the carrying out of the functions of the Authority or assisting or enabling the provisions of drug and alcohol services throughout New South Wales; and
(6) advise the Minister with respect to:
(1) the provision of drug and alcohol services throughout New South Wales; and
(2) drug or alcohol related problems, including such matters with respect thereto as the Minister may from time to time direct.
The Authority was empowered to exercise its functions in association with other public authorities in New South Wales or beyond if those authorities have similar or complimentary functions. (4)
The New South Wales Drug and Alcohol Authority was abolished under the provisions of the Drug Offensive Act, 1987 (Act No.119, 1987), which commenced on the 16 May 1987 (5).
(1) Drug and Alcohol Authority Act, 1980 part 1, sect. 2
(2) NSW Drug and Alcohol Authority Annual Report, 1981 p.3
(3) Ibid p.4
(4) Drug and Alcohol Authority Act, 1980 s. 9(2)
(5) Drug Offensive Act, 1987