In 1910 the Victorian School of Forestry Creswick, opened its doors to the first intake of seven forestry students. Later, in 1943, Melbourne University established a forestry School and the two institutions worked well together, eventually amalgamating in 1973 to create the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry, University of Melbourne. In 1995 the name changed to the Faculty of Agriculture, Forestry and Horticulture; in 1997 to the Institute of Land and Food Resources; in 2005 Faculty of Land and Food Resources ; currently (2008-) known as the Melbourne School of Land and Environment, Department of Forest and Ecosystem Science.
For a history of the School see: Circumspice: One Hundred Years of Forestry Education by Rob Youl, Brian Fry and Ron Hateley. 2010