According to the Returns of the Colony, Thomas Bell was appointed the first Superintendent of Emigrants on 10 February 1838.(1) The Superintendent of Emigrants was responsible for the supervision of emigrants in the Emigration Barracks used to house recently arrived emigrants.
Thomas Bell was succeeded as Superintendent by James Seward on 12 August 1838 when Bell was appointed House Steward and Storekeeper of the Female Factory at Parramatta.(2) James Seward occupied the position until 14 November 1840 when Alexander McLean, a Clerk in the Immigration Office, was appointed Superintendent of Emigrants (the term emigrants and emigration was replaced over time with immigrants and immigration).
Alexander McLean was removed as Superintendent of Emigrants (the position was also known as Superintendent and Clerk of the Emigration Buildings) on 10 October 1843 and the position does not appear to have been filled.(3) The premises and property of the Emigration buildings were temporarily placed under the charge of a Mr Costello.(4)
1. Returns of the Colony 1838.
2. loc. cit.; NSW Government Gazette No.354, 5 September 1838, p690.
3. Copies of letters sent re Immigration, CGS 967, State Records reference number 4/3707, p512; Returns of the Colony 1843.
4. Copies of letters sent re Immigration, CGS 967, State Records reference number 4/3707, p512.