(Managed by, Owned by)
Brief description This project is funded by the NSW DPI and investigates:
- Does saline groundwater occur in Western Sydney?
- Where does shallow groundwater occur in Western Sydney and is it always saline?
- What, if any spatial variation is occurring in the shallow groundwater?
- How many shallow aquifer systems can be identified in Western Sydney, and what is their likely extent?
- Do the physical or chemical characteristics of the shallow groundwater vary seasonally or on longer time scales?
- What is the source of the shallow groundwater and the salt in the region?
- Are evaporation and/or transpiration affecting the geochemistry of the shallow groundwater?
- Are there processes operating in the aquifer that are altering the geochemistry of the groundwater such as water-rock interaction?
- Where do recharge and discharge occur and how does the groundwater move between these areas?
- How is the geology affecting the geochemistry, the recharge, the discharge and the movement of the groundwater?