The South-Western District of the Courts of General and Quarter Sessions appears to have been established on 1 July 1861 when Isidore J. Blake was appointed Chairman. (1) The District comprised courts in the south central west of the state. There was frequent transfer of individual courts between the district and the neighbouring Southern and Western Districts.
The Courts met to hear less serious criminal cases on dates proclaimed in the NSW Government Gazette. In 1879 the Courts sat at Young, Grenfell, Gundagai, Wagga Wagga, Albury, Deniliquin, Hay and Wentworth. (2)
The South-Western District continued until the Courts of General and Quarter Sessions themselves were abolished in June 1973. The District was replaced by the Criminal jurisdiction of the District Court.
(1) Public Service Lists 1862 p.35.
(2) NSW Government Gazette (No.384), 9 December 1879, p.4888.
Public Service lists 1862-1882.
Law Almanac, NSW Government Printer, 1882-1973.