Full descriptionThe inaugural meeting of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences School Board of the Riverina College of Advanced Education (RCAE), later the Riverina-Murray Institute of Higher Education (RMIHE), was convened on 22 April 1982. (1) The Board was the principal academic body of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, and as such, reported directly to the College Board/Academic Board. (2) The membership of the School Board was elected by and from the members of the School, and numbered one-third of the full-time teaching staff of the School, or 16 members whichever was the lesser. (3) Provision was also made for appropriate student representation on the Board (4). The Dean of the School was the Presiding Officer of the School Board. The Board was required to meet at least three times each semester. The terms of reference for the School Board included:
- the formulation of the academic policies of the School in relation to courses of study and other academic activities;
- consideration of proposals for new and revised courses of study and making recommendations on these courses to the Academic Board/College Board;
- the establishment of a Board of Examiners for the assessment, examination and determination of grades and appeals of students, after considering the recommendation of the examiners appointed by the School Board;
- advising and making recommendations on matters referred to it by the School Assembly, Academic Board, Dean, Principal or Council;
- establishment of sub-committees and delegation of powers to such sub-committees or persons as the Board sees fit;
- submission to the Academic/College Board the names of the students who have completed courses of study, together with recommendations as to the award which should be made in each case; and
- submission to the Academic/College Board the minutes of the School Board. (5)
The final meeting of the RCAE/RMIHE School of Humanities and Social Sciences School Board was held on 5 June 1989. (6) With the enactment of the Charles Sturt University Act 1989, a new School of Humanities and Social Sciences School Board was created under the auspice of Charles Sturt University. Endnotes:
(1) Minutes of the inaugural meeting of the RCAE School of Humanities and Social Sciences School Board, Meeting 1/82, 22 April 1982, p. 1.
(2) Agenda papers of the meeting of the RMIHE School of Education School Board, Meeting Special/86, 1 May 1986, “Proposed structure and organisation of Schools of the Institute”, pp. 3-5.
(3) Ibid., pp. 3-5.
(4) Ibid., pp. 3-5.
(5) Ibid., pp. 3-5.
(6) Minutes of the meeting of the RMIHE School of Humanities and Social Sciences School Board, Meeting 3/89, 5 June 1989.
User Contributed Tags
Login to tag this record with meaningful keywords to make it easier to discover
website : http://search.records.nsw.gov.au/agencies/3810