Organisation

Her Majesty's Prison, Bendigo (previously known as Sandhurst Gaol 1853-1891; Bendigo Gaol 1891-1939, 1952-1954; Bendigo Training Prison 1954-1972; Bendigo Prison 1972-1981)

Public Record Office Victoria
Viewed: [[ro.stat.viewed]]

Full description

A Gaol in Bendigo, then known as Sandhurst, was first proclaimed in December 1853. Four wooden block houses enclosed by a stockade were declared a public gaol under An Act to make provision for the better control and disposal of Offenders (No.32) of 1853. Records in the custody of Public Record Office Victoria suggest, however, that the stockade had been operating as a gaol since January 1851, although there does not appear to be any other evidence to support this. The gaol held men, women and children and had an operational capacity of 85.

Construction of a new gaol in began in March 1859 and was completed in several stages, the last of which was finished in 1864. The new gaol, located on the same penal reserve as the stockade, was declared suitable enough for prisoners, was proclaimed in October 1861. The the 61 prisoners housed at the former gaol were relocated. Work continued on the gaol for several years, and the gaol was re-proclaimed on completion in October 1864. Like other Victorian gaols built at this time, it utilised the Pentonville style of prison design, reform and punishment.

The prison reserve was extended during the 1870s and was formally proclaimed Sandhurst Gaol under the Statute of Gaols 1864 in October 1877. It was renamed Bendigo Gaol in October 1891. Women prisoners were relocated to Pentridge Female Prison (VA 4141) upon it's opening in 1894 and by 1896, Bendigo Gaol only held men.

In January 1910, the prison site was significantly reduced. In November 1939, the gaol appointment was revoked and the complex was temporarily transferred to the Commonwealth Government for use as a Military Gaol.

The complex was once again proclaimed as Bendigo Gaol when it was returned to State Government control in March 1952. Renovations were completed in 1953-54, largely by a prisoner workforce, and the site was officially opened in May 1955. Although it was not formally renamed, it became known as the Bendigo Training Prison from 1953. The prison provided training courses in motor mechanics, building construction and carpentry, sheet-metal work, welding, and blacksmithing. It was registered as Special School 4759 in 1955 and Special School 6113 in 1970, until training prisons were phased out by 1981.

On 26 April 1972 the site was named Bendigo Prison under the Social Welfare Act 1970, and was later named Her Majesty's Prison, Bendigo, under the renamed Community Welfare Services Act 1970 in May 1981.

The prison continued to operate as a medium-security prison until 2006, when it closed under the Corrections Act 1986. The buildings and grounds were registered on the Victoria Heritage Register, and the site was redeveloped as a museum, performance space and community arts centre. The prison was the last 19th-century prison to be closed in Victoria.

Data time period: [1853 TO 2006]

User Contributed Tags    

Login to tag this record with meaningful keywords to make it easier to discover

Identifiers
ACN 633 798 857