Collection of 700 album covers produced by the World Record Club in Melbourne.
The World Record Club was initially established in London in 1958 by John Day, an Australian Copywriter, Norman Lonsdale, a British Merchant Banker. It issued records through a mail order membership system. In 1958 Terence Creswell-George established the World Record Club (WRC) in Melbourne. The Club initially operated from Flinders Lane, and subsequently moved to Hartwell. The World Record Club is one of the most representative collections of the work of Australian designers and artists and operated from 1958 until 1976 in Melbourne. Inaugural art director Geoff Digby, an alumnus of RMIT, commissioned emerging Australian designers, photographers and illustrators to create art and designs for more than 2000 covers. Contributors included Paul Cleveland, John Copeland, Robert Haberfield, Geoff Hocking, David Leonard, Gus Van Der Heyde, Max Robinson, Athol Shmith, Lance Stirling, Alex Stitt, Gerard Vandenburgh and Tony Ward.
The collection is housed in 41 boxes, boxes 1-6 are arranged alphabetically by composer, and the covers have been digitized and catalogued, boxes 7 to 41 are arranged by composer.