The Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) is a leader in tropical marine science.
The Institute is consistently ranked among the top one per cent of specialist research institutions internationally and is known for its unique capacity to investigate topics from broad-scale ecology to microbiology.
AIMS is committed to the protection and sustainable use of Australia's marine resources. Its research programs support the management of tropical marine environments around the world, with a primary focus on the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area, the pristine Ningaloo Marine Park in Western Australia and northwest Australia.
AIMS' headquarters is ideally located on a 207 hectare coastal site 50km from Townsville, Queensland, in a scientific zone surrounded by National Park and Marine Reserve.
The location was selected because of its proximity to the geographical centre of the Great Barrier Reef and access to clean seawater. This strategic position provides a fast transition from the sea to the laboratory, a key advantage in marine science.
Two smaller offices, in Perth, Western Australia, and Darwin, Northern Territory, provide direct links for research partners and clients in these regions.
PMB 3, Townsville MC
Tel: (07) 47534444
Fax: (07) 47725852
PO Box 41775, Casuarina MC
Northern Territory, Australia
Tel: (08) 8920 9240
Fax: (08) 8920 9222
The UWA Oceans Institute Building
35 Stirling Hwy, Crawley 6009
Western Australia, Australia
Tel: (08) 6369 4000
Fax: (08) 618 6488 4585
- Australian Institute of Marine Scie AIMS)
- Port Curtis Integrated Monitoring Program
- Hydrographic Service RAN - Australian Hydrographic Office
- Ikeda, T
- World Data Centre for Greenhouse Gases, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), Oceans and Atmosphere - Climate Science Centre and Australian Institute of Marine Science View All 17.
- Sea Water Temperature Logger Data at Knife Reef, From 23 Apr 2012 To 29 May 2020
- Sea Water Temperature Logger Data at 21-550 Reef, From 02 Sep 2013 To 16 Jan 2016
- Sea Water Temperature Logger Data at Murrungga Island, From 13 Apr 2017 To 25 Nov 2019
- Sea Water Temperature Logger Data at Hook Island, Great Barrier Reef From 27 Jan 2007 To 25 Jun 2020
- The physical oceanography of Bowling Green Bay, north Queensland: Station BG06
- View All Collections