This series contains original certified plans that have been sealed or certified by the relevant local municipal council in relation to an application for subdivision or consolidation of freehold land in the State of Victoria. These plans were required to be sealed or certified by council, before being lodged in the Office of Titles for approval and issue of new Certificate/s of Title for the land parcels created in these plans upon registration of the plan.
These plans usually contain the seal of the council and are signed by a Council delegate as having been through the Council's process and approved for registration/implementation.
These plans provide the continual history of parcelization of land within the State of Victoria.
The main plan types include:
- Plans of Subdivisions: plans identified as LP and PS series, shows a subdivision of a parcel of land.
- Plans of Consolidations: plans identified as CP and PC series. A plan of consolidation allows an applicant to consolidate two or more parcels of land into one marketable parcel. Only one new parcel can be created by a plan of consolidation.
- Strata Plans: plans identified as RP and SP series, shows the subdivision of a parcel of land to allow multiple occupancy and separate ownership of individual units, eg home unit and town house developments.
- Cluster plans: plans identified as CS series.
The Certified Plans in the Plans of Subdivisions Lodged Plan (LP) were registered between 1863 and 1997. An applicant could divide freehold land into two or more new parcels of land that could be disposed of separately after approval. These plans were lodged under the provisions of Section 97 of the Transfer of Land Act 1958.
Plans of subdivisions divided or developed freehold land into two or more parcels. Some large development plans of subdivisions can be considered as being the origin in the development of new suburbs in the parcelization of the State of Victoria after the alienation of freehold land by the Crown.
Types of information contained in plans of subdivisions included:
- Creation of unique land descriptions for each created parcel,
- New parcel dimensions and areas,
- Creation and naming of new Roads,
- Sets aside Reserves for specific purposes,
- Set aside easements such as drainage, sewerage, carriageway to service the development and
- Sets out existing easements and rights to the land prior to the subdivision.
All new plans of subdivision lodged with Land Victoria are lodged under Section 22 of the Subdivision Act 1988.