Brief descriptionThe Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts maintains the Australian Wetlands Database with information from State and Territory conservation agencies. This provides online access to the most recent information on Australia's Ramsar sites and Directory wetlands, our internationally and nationally important wetlands respectively.
Information and spatial data for Australia's Ramsar sites are supplied by State and Territory conservation departments. The reports generated from the database follow the categories of the Ramsar Information Sheet (RIS), which document the character and values of each Ramsar site. The latest RIS updates are included.
The Directory is compiled with the cooperation of conservation agencies and other resource managers in all jurisdictions. It is a valuable tool for managers and others interested in Australia's important wetlands. The database holds descriptions of more than 850 Directory wetlands, including those listed since publication of the third edition in 2001. Users should note that there are gaps in the knowledge of some sites and some fields may be blank. Inventory is ongoing and many wetlands remain to be assessed or recognised as internationally or nationally important.
Wetlands data have been received from:
* Environment ACT - ACT references
* NSW Department of Conservation and Environment - NSW references
* NT Department of Infrastructure Planning and Environment - NT references
* Qld Environmental Protection Agency - Qld references
* SA Department of Environment and Heritage - SA references
* Tas Department of Primary Industries, Water and the Environment - Tas references
* Vic Department of Sustainability and Environment - Vic references
* WA Department of Conservation and Land Management - WA references
LineageMaintenance and Update Frequency: unknown
Statement: Original record compiled for the Western Australian Marine Science Institution (WAMSI), Project 3.8, 2008. Originally sourced from DEWHA EPBC Referrals online (April, 2008). Metadata information generated from citations in referrals. Date range from citation date. Abstract derived from citation title only. Spatial extent derived from referral area of interest.
Department of Environment and Heritage (DEH)
Modified: 06 2008
Data time period: 2004 to 2004
170,-6 170,-45 112,-45 112,-6 170,-6
- global : 516811d7-cb56-207a-e0440003ba8c79dd
- URI : http://www.environment.gov.au/water/publications/environmental/wetlands/database/