The ANARE Health Register, which has been in operation since 1987, is designed to gather, store, analyse and report on all health related events occurring in the ANARE population. The principal aims of the project are to:
- quantify the occurrence of ill health in Antarctic personnel.
- compare the incidence rates with those in the domestic population.
- assess any trends in health events.
- identify high risk groups, in order to modify conditions accordingly.
- assess the role of pre-existing health conditions.
- examine the causes of injury.
- quantify the procedures performed and drugs administered.
The results of all medical consultations are coded according to the International Classification of Diseases and analysed on both a monthly and an annual basis in order to assess any emerging trends. In addition to serving as a long-term data base for epidemiological studies, the Health Register is proving to be a useful tool in the day-to-day operations of the Polar Medicine Branch of the Australian Antarctic Division.